Tag Toxin Warning for your Home

Tag Toxin Warning for your Home

Toxin Warning for your Home

Tags: Health Warnings No comments

Each year, over 1 million children are accidentally poisoned in their homes.  250,000 of these victims are hospitalized.  3,000 children will end up in intensive care.  Dozens more will die. Thousands of children and adults are permanently disfigured or injured through contact with chemicals in the home, each year. Incredibly, the most common substance to poison children is a household cleaner. Many of these products are considered safe! Think of your own home – you probably have dozens of bottles of cleaners, containing hundreds of chemicals. Could an accident happen in your home? Check off the products you use in your home and evaluate your risks. All information comes from actual manufacturer’s Material Safety Data Sheets and National Poison Control Centers.

  • Liquid Bleach – DANGER! – Causes severe eye injuries. Can damage mouth; irritate the nose, throat, and lungs.
  • Toilet Bowl Cleaner – DANGER! – Contains hydrochloric acid throat, and stomach. Vapors which is highly corrosive. Burns the skin, mouth, and throat. Causes blindness.
  • Furniture Polish – DANGER! – Contact with skin can dissolve vital skin oils and cause severe dermatitis (skin burns). Can permanently injure eyes.
  • Stainless Steel Cleaner – DANGER! – Can burn the eyes and skin. Vapors can cause headaches, dizziness and stupor.
  • Aerosol Dusting Spray – DANGER! – Flammable. Irritates the lungs. 5,000 people visit emergency rooms each year with an aerosol can-related injury.
  • Oven Cleaner – DANGER! – Contains lye which is highly corrosive. Burns the skin, mouth, throat, and stomach. Causes permanent blindness.
  • Brass, Copper, Silver Polish – WARNING! – Can cause moderate eye and skin damage and burns. Fumes can cause headaches, dizziness and stupor.
  • Carpet Shampoo– WARNING! – Can cause moderate to severe burns to eyes and skin. Vapors can irritate the nose, throat and lungs.
  • Carpet Stain Remover – WARNING! – Can cause moderate to severe damage to eyes and skin. Vapors can cause respiratory distress.
  • Upholstery Stain Remover – WARNING! – Can cause moderate to severe damage to skin and eyes ingesting can lead to abdominal tenderness and bleeding.
  • Disinfectant Cleaner – WARNING! – Contains flammable propellants. Can burn skin and cause permanent corneal damage. Fumes can strongly irritate the nose, throat and lungs.
  • Powdered Bleach –WARNING! – Breathing the dust can produce asthma-like symptoms. Damages eyes and skin. Mixing with ammonia can produce deadly fumes.
  • Aerosol Air Freshener –WARNING! – Contains highly flammable propellants.  Can cause moderate irritation to the eyes. Can cause mild to moderate lung irritation, including asthma-like symptoms.
  • Window Cleaner –WARNING! – Can cause moderate irritation and damage to eyes. Fumes can be moderately to highly irritating to the lungs. Can irritate the skin.
  • All-Purpose Cleaner –WARNING! – Strong lung irritant. Can cause mild to moderate damage to the eyes. Fumes can cause weakness and dizziness.
  • Basin, Tub, & Tile Cleaner –WARNING! – Some are flammable. Contains acids that can burn the skin and cause corneal damage. Vapors can cause strong respiratory irritation.
  • Tile/Hard Water Spot Remover –WARNING! – Contains corrosive acids that can cause moderate burns and irritation to skin and eyes. Vapors can be highly irritating to nose, throat, and lungs.
  • Floor Cleaner –WARNING! – Contains corrosive acids that can cause moderate burns and irrigation to skin and eyes. Can burn mouth and throat. Can cause blindness.
  • Scouring Powder with Bleach –WARNING! – Can cause moderate irritation to skin. Can burn mouth and throat. Can cause permanent eye damage. Gives off irritating fumes when wet.
  • Drain Cleaner –WARNING! – Burns mouth, tongue, throat and stomach, causing permanent damage. Can cause severe eye damage and blindness.
  • Automatic Dishwashing Liquid –WARNING! – Strong skin irritant. Can burn throat. Many products contain bleach which can cause swelling and tearing of eye tissue. Vapors can cause headaches
  • Automatic Dishwashing Powder –WARNING! – Strong eye and skin irritant. Contains corrosive bleach that can burn mouth and throat. Most common reported poison among children.
  • Dishwashing Liquid –CAUTION! – Possible skin irritant. Can cause swelling and tearing of eye tissue. Vapors can cause labored coughing labored breathing and in severe cases death.
  • Liquid Laundry Detergent –WARNING! – Strong eye irritant can cause corneal damage. Can irritate the skin. Vapors can cause coughing, labored breathing, and in severe cases, death.
  • Powdered Laundry Detergent –WARNING! – Can burn the skin and eyes can cause corneal damage. Dust can cause headaches, dizziness, labored breathing, and in severe cases death.
  • Liquid Fabric Softeners –CAUTION! – Mild eye irritant. Skin irritant. Vapors can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, labored breathing, and in severe cases, death. Can aggravate asthma symptoms.
  • Fabric Softener Sheets–CAUTION! – Possible skin irritant. Can irritate eyes. Vapors can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and in severe cases death.
  • Powdered Carpet Deodorizer –CAUTION! – Contact with skin can produce mild irritation. Contract with eyes can cause abrasive eye damage. Dust can irritate the lungs and aggravate asthma symptoms.
  • Aerosol Deodorant –DANGER! – Contains highly flammable propellants. Vapors can irritate the lungs and eyes.
  • Aerosol Hair Spray -DANGER! – Contains highly flammable propellants. Can cause eye damage due to direct contact. Skin irritant. Vapors can cause headache, dizziness, and fatigue.
  • Mouthwash –CAUTION! – Eye, nose and throat irritant. Ingestion can lead to dizziness and stupor. Most products contain 20% ethyl alcohol. Each year a number of young children die from ingestion.
  • Cologne/Perfume – Most scents contain enough alcohol to harm and kill a child after ingesting only a few swallows. Many ingredients can irritate the skin and burn the eyes.
  • Cosmetics – Cosmetics are second only to cleaning products as a prisoner of children. They are not regulated like cleaners and many have no warning labels.

All cleaning products are harmful if swallowed. However, products come with a “signal word” that designates the level of toxicity of the product. “DANGER!” indicates the product is highly toxic (less than a teaspoon can harm or kill an adult), corrosive (can burn the skin or the eyes), or flammable. “WARNING!” means the product is moderately toxic (a teaspoon to an ounce can harm or kill an adult), “CAUTION!” means a product is slightly toxic (more than an ounce can harm or produce a toxic effect in an adult), Of course, much less is needed to harm or kill a child.

The labels on products only have to warn of the acute (immediate) harms from ingesting a product, breathing the fumes, or contact with the eyes and skin. They don’t reveal the harms presented by chronic (long-term) exposure to the chemicals in these products.